Cape of Good Hope was stunning! I ran out of synonyms for
‘amazing‘ early on in the trip. I think that if I were an explorer trying to
sail my way to India and my ship crashed into the cape (storms or not) I would
have to set up camp. There is something very dramatic about the landscape at that
point of the African continent. I felt as if I was standing at the edge of the world and I imagined what
it was like to believe the world was flat and that this could be simply the end of it.


Later we went to the District Six Museum.
It was very moving to see visuals that depicted the displacement of so many
people from their homes and their lands. As I was reading a passage on one of
the walls, I was reminded of something that Professor Vogelaar had said in my
Communication and Power class the week before. She said that the media and the
historians are the keepers of memory. Under Apartheid the blacks, coloreds, and other minority groups had their power taken away from them, and with that power went
much of their ability to tell their stories and in this way many memories were also destroyed.
It is always difficult to keep the memory of minority groups alive. The mission
of the District Six Museum is a noble one.
No comments:
Post a Comment