With a visit to Parliament in the morning followed by a
private lecture with Patrick Lakota, it was one of our more academic days. I
cannot pretend to know what I’m talking about when it comes to the South African
political system, but I found our chat with Patrick Lakota (President of the
Congress of the People) extremely refreshing. He was so humble and open with
us; it was very special to hear his personal experiences fighting with the ANC
to end Apartheid and the challenges he faced. To fight for civil rights when
all the odds are against you, at the risk of imprisonment, and even again after his 17 years of imprisonment is truly remarkable. Being in prison is a dehumanizing
experience, but it allowed Patrick to have a renewed sense of appreciation for
the little things in life that we all so often take for granted. “Do not forget to look up at the stars,” he reminded us. He showed us so much humanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment