Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 7

A very wonderfully full day in Knysna. Breakfast at the Sedgefield Organic Market was yet another highlight of the trip. I wish I remembered the name of the friendly man who was making fresh squeezed juices or the woman who made us delicious bowls of muesli. I definitely indulged. I had the most wonderful oyster that tasted just like the ocean, and I bought some sun dried apricots and kudu jerky to go. There was just no way I was passing up the opportunity to try some kudu. You're only in Africa once! It's salty and kind of falls apart but I enjoyed it. Jerky score 7/10 from me.
My farmers market snacks.
After the market we took guided beach walk. I was surprised to see little jelly fish washing up on the sand. Our guide astutely explained that they are called blue bottles and are actually made up of different organism called zooids which together function as if it were one animal. Amazing! Nature never ceases to astound. (Below is a picture that I found on Google, but I felt it was necessary for people to see what I was talking about.)
It looks like one organism, am I right? 
In the afternoon we went for a beautiful little kayak ride in the Knysna marine estuary. I had no idea that the purpose of an estuary was to serve as a place where certain marine species could survive as babies. In the estuary they are protected from the strong currents and they have ample food sources to sustain them until they are strong enough to swim out into the open ocean waters. Essentially it's a fish daycare. Unfortunately I didn't notice any of them.... I think I was too busy trying to beat the boys in their kayaks.
Kayaking in the estuary.
Finally we ended the day with a tour and dinner at the Rastafari community. I'll let the Rasta man speak for himself. It was enlightening to say the least. (Video pending due to technology issues. Check back soon!)






No comments:

Post a Comment